About This Role
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
As an Application Reliability Engineer, you’ll tap into your passion for finding and fixing inefficiencies to solve our reliability and performance issues. In our Agile environment, you’ll focus on availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change and problem management, monitoring, emergency response and capacity planning of our services. Your projects will deliver enhanced infrastructure, development, and deployment automation at Discover.
- Analyse, design, program, test, and deploy new user stories and features with high quality (security, reliability, operations) to production
- Achieves team commitments (and influence others to do the same) by using informal leadership & highly developed communication skills
- Has an oversight on design decisions and guides team to achieve key results for products assigned to them
- Remediates issues using engineering principles and creates proactive design solutions for potential failures
- Work with a team of site reliability engineers that is responsible for building the continuous reliability mindset, shepherding problem management, and driving key site reliability engineering practices into the organization.
- Design and drive monitoring, alerting, ticket reporting strategies to measure SLA, SLO, MTTI, MTTR. Etc. and align with management expectations to reduce/minimize prod downtime.
- Guide site reliability automation to help eliminate manual toil and create a self-healing capability
- Participate in selection of appropriate automation tools, defining technology, quality, experience and implementation standards and practices within own technical domain.
- Fosters a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the chapter. Establishes and tracks to appropriate OKRs to ensure outcomes are met.
- Creates solutions addressing high impact technology and business priorities
- Competent in multiple contexts, such as programming languages, security, automation, testing, infrastructure, and performance and is the go-to person for many people (inside and outside of their team)
- Proactively identifies and mitigates issues based on intuition and experience in multiple domains
- Contributes to and leads technology communities at Discover
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors – Computer Science or related
- 8+ Years – Information Technology, (Software) Engineering, or related
- Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of expert on the Dreyfus engineering scale
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience with SRE design to address reliability and resiliency with availability of 5-9s
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in the SRE field.
- Experience developing in Java (or other similar languages)
- Experience in managing caching solutions like Hazelcast, GemFire or Terracota
- High level of familiarity with the Linux command line and scripting
- Extremely comfortable with production environments, firewalls, and networking
- Studied architectural patterns at scale, including thoughtfully designed APIs, repeatable delivery pipelines, and efficient computer engineering principles.
- Strong experience in deploying, observing, altering, logging, and monitoring systems (Splunk, Datadog, AppDynamics, Instana) with a mindset towards predictive analysis.
- Working knowledge of the automation tools such as Ansible, Terraform, or Chef
- Working knowledge of messaging services like RabbitMQ, SQS, Kafka
- String Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery models including Blue/Green and/or Canary release models
External applicants will be required to perform a technical interview.
The base pay for this position generally ranges between $122,500.00 to $206,500.00. Additional incentives may be provided as part of a market competitive total compensation package. Factors, such as but not limited to, geographical location, relevant experience, education, and skill level may impact the pay for this position.
We also offer a range of benefits and programs based on eligibility. These benefits include:
Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off
Medical, Dental, Vision, & Health Savings Account
STD, Life, LTD and AD&D
Family Support Programs
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Learn more at MyDiscoverBenefits.com.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
All Discover employees place our customers at the very center of our work. To deliver on our promises to our customers, each of us contribute every day to a culture that values compliance and risk management.
Discover is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Discover is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other legally protected status. (Know Your Rights)