At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As Discover’s Business Technology organization continues to innovate with new open source technologies, a new opportunity has been opened on the Emerging Technologies team in the Enterprise Architecture group.
*** The position is in our downtown Chicago office, located next to the Merchandise Mart. Occasional travel to headquarters in Riverwoods, IL is required. ***
This position will join a team focused on innovative data engineering solutions. As a technical lead on the team, you will be responsible for guiding the team on technical details as well as implementation of solution and ongoing operational support. By following Agile practices and continuing to build our development frameworks, you will contribute to a team that is delivering high value solutions and still innovating in our software toolset choices. We’re currently developing in Python, Scala and Java while leveraging more AWS services every day. Kafka streams may also be in our future, as is evaluating cloud based streaming analytics and machine learning solutions.
There will be opportunities to promote Discover and its innovative solutions that this team will be involved in driving forward, so we expect this individual to be comfortable in these outreach responsibilities and possess good communication skills in order to be effective in these duties.
The role requires strategic thinking, attention to detail and effective oral & written communication skills including the creation of visual artifacts such as flow and/or sequence diagrams. This unique position will require both a strong technical and business acumen.
The person develops and maintains full stack solutions to fit business needs. Full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and devops development. Works directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Independently innovates on and advocates for best practices within the team, and collaborates on them across the enterprise. Carries a holistic view of all products and their interactions to design complex solutions and plan for how new projects will fit into the larger ecosystem. Solves complex technical problems. Guides team in implementation of solutions from inception to production.
- Works with a dedicated agile development team to deliver customer/business value through product features.
- Take ownership of larger technical items that span many sprints and release points, to ensure the items that don’t squarely fit into a time-box are still accomplished.
- Working within an Agile process to deliver solutions to Discover that support the Centralized Logging Service (CLS) and assistance in the design and implementation of the solution, based on Elasticsearch, Logstash, Filebeats, Kafka, Apache NiFi, and AWS.
- Achieve a high level of competency in big data solutions and aligned technologies that are used, or will benefit CLS.
- Take an agile pro-active approach that delivers improvements to the organization in a timely basis.
- Identifying opportunities to innovate on top of the CLS data, which promote skills in Data Analytics.
- Delivering new capabilities with new technologies (i.e., machine learning) that deliver additional value.
- Develop data science expertise.
- Provide technical leadership to application developers and other internal stakeholders regarding all aspects of Centralized Logging Solution.
- Perform strategic planning, upgrades, maintenance and support.
- Actively contribute to and drive creation of artifacts for CLS Architectures, Design Considerations and Best Practices.
- Maintain working knowledge of alternative Log Analytic solutions (i.e. Splunk, Elastic Filebeats/Logstash and other tools), as well as cloud-based offerings.
- Handle occasional on-call duties and escalations as they rotate through the team.
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience.Develops and maintains backend systems.Uses holistic knowledge of all products in the team’s ecosystem to plan how new systems will be built and integrated.
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved processes within the team and with internal partners; stays up to date with technology trends and innovations; mentors team members.
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- In lieu of degree, 10+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 3+ years of relevant experience with agile technology teams
- 5+years of coding experience with Java, Python, or another modern language.
- 2+ years of experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a Developer or Architect.
- Experience supporting a product or service provided to a development community.
- Experience in a support based capacity, such as a development or engineering team
- Demonstrates reliability and dependability for the team, displays self-awareness, collaboration and ability to improve based on feedback from others.
- Agile Experience, Jenkins and Chef experience beneficial.
- Exposure to: Apache NiFi, Kafka, Java, Python.Experience with data pipelineing coding techniques that are commonly used in streaming development.
- Fullstack Academy, General Assembly or comparable programs may adequately supplement a non-CS bachelor’s degree
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.