At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Enterprise Data Architecture & Strategy team at Discover is looking for an experienced Data Modeler to join a diverse team dedicated to data analysis, data classification and logical data modeling. On this team you will collaborate closely with others to understand enterprise requirements and develop and document data solutions.
In this role you will:
- Understand business processes and concepts in order to design and develop logical data models
- Be responsible for data classification, naming and design
- Suggest and implement improvements in data architecture, team processes and functions
- Designs, develops, and deploys database models for application development.
- Performs data analysis and data modeling for operational application and analytical databases.
- Responsible for the creation and design of database coding structure (in DDL – Data Definition Language), including the classification, naming, and design of the database (including independent decision making for data normalization techniques as an example).
- Provides technical consulting for teammates and application teams for data naming, classification, design, and handling as a part of the first line of defense for data controls in designing systems.
- Performs highly complexity changes with minimal supervision.
- Suggests and implements improvements in architecture, team processes, and functions.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in IT, Data Analysis, Data Manipulation, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in IT, Data Analysis, Data Manipulation, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 5+ years of experience in IT, Data Analysis, Data Manipulation, or related field
- Working experience with dimensional data modeling and strong knowledge of best practices and solution patterns
- Proficient in SQL for data analysis
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve existing processes
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to manage time and maintain focus
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Experience with cloud databases
- Experience with reporting tools
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.