Operations Strategy – Discover Home Equity Loans
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Operations Strategy for Discover Home Equity Loans is a senior, individual contributor who leads operations strategy and implementation of changes in our residential mortgage originations business. Occupants in this role are primarily based in Discovers Riverwoods, IL headquarters (a suburb of Chicago), but may also be located in either our Phoenix, AZ or our DE operations centers. This role reports to a Senior Manager, Operations Strategy and requires ability to travel approximately 25-50% to other operations sites.
Responsible for providing strategic and tactical direction for operational activities to service the business. Ensures efficient and compliant servicing operations while ensuring world-class customer experience.
- Collaborates with business partners on process enhancements, communicates operational implications, and suggests alternatives that may achieve the same objectives but with more favorable impact to operations (e.g., lower cost, less complexity), commits to approaches selected by leadership and leads the implementation.
- Plans, coordinates, and executes activities that support business partner initiatives across the organization and ensures operations expectations for timeliness, quality, and efficiency are delivered in conjunction with internal and external parties.
- Actively monitors servicing quality levels, communicates opportunities for improvement, and collaborates with operations to improve service levels.
- Develops any necessary remediation plans and ensures their timely completion.
- Manages relationships with business partners and management of system-related projects from idea to implementation.
- Serves as the primary liaison between business partners and operations teams for servicing processes.
- Ensures that sound operational processes and procedures are developed and documented.
- Develops deep subject matter expertise within a defined mortgage origination process, such as sales, processing, underwriting, closing, funding, or pipeline management.
- Champions process and system improvements to improve productivity, reduce errors, and minimize rework. Synthesizes disparate pieces of information to identity improvement opportunities, present justifications for change, and determine appropriate solutions.
- Defines department goals (e.g., productivity, quality, cycle time, effectiveness), determines staffing needs, designs scorecards, and monitors performance.
- Manages implementation of small and large projects, ensuring there is proper communication, coordination, training and execution to achieve desired objectives.
- Owns, writes, reviews, updates, and improves procedures, job aids and reference guide documents for operations teams. Obtains necessary approvals prior to making changes and confirms changes are implemented effectively.
- Develops and maintains collaborative working relationships within area of responsibility and across departments, gathers feedback on needs and challenges, and creates buy-in on proposed changes.
- Identifies potential areas of credit risk, compliance risk, operational risk, or poor customer experience by assessing process and procedure design and implementation. Develops and implements plans to address and close gaps. Designs effective controls and actively participates in control design reviews.
- Assists Department Managers and Area Managers/Team Leads with daily operation of the department as needed, such as answering escalated file-level questions.
- Promotes a risk-aware culture, and ensures efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Provide training support to assist with system and strategy implementations on a weekly basis.
- Background in mortgage operations a plus. A basic working knowledge of Title, Appraisal, Income, and Credit would be helpful.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Arts and Sciences, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Customer Service or Financial Services Operations
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in applicable line of business (Deposits, Personal Loans, Student Loans), or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Master’s Degree in Business, Arts and Sciences, or related field
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiation, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to mentor varying levels of employees and coach them to success, while effectively balancing overall department needs and production goals
- Ability to interact well with all levels of senior management, articulating department needs in a solution-oriented way
- Ability to analyze information, identify key issues and draw logical conclusions, identify root causes of problems and develop solutions
- Lean, Six Sigma, and/or demonstrated ability to drive process improvement
- Must be able to work independently in a fast paced, goal-oriented environment
- Must be flexible and adaptable to changing business needs
- Proficient using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.