Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
Seeking a Principal Engineer for DFS’s Finance Treasury and Tax Product team. This team specializes in supporting DFS’s Treasury and Tax applications and technology needs. The Treasury and Tax Product team works directly with our Treasury and Tax business partners to meet specific requirements while not compromising quality. The primary responsibilities of this role include upgrading the technology and supporting vendor applications used by Treasury and Tax functions utilizing Windows batch scripting, Linux, PERL, Java, Autosys, SQL, GitHub, Jenkins and creating automations utilizing tools such as Python, Java, and Selenium. Strategic mindset to incorporate automation, CI/CD pipeline wherever possible.
Develops and maintains full stack solutions to fit business needs. Full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development. Works directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Independently innovates on and advocates for best practices within the team, and collaborates on them across the enterprise. Carries a holistic view of all products and their interactions to design complex solutions and plan for how new projects will fit into the larger ecosystem. Solves complex technical problems. Guides team in implementation of solutions from inception to production.
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
- Develops and maintains backend systems
- Uses holistic knowledge of all products in the team’s ecosystem to plan how new systems will be built and integrated
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved processes within the team and with internal partners; stays up to date with technology trends and innovations; mentors team members
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
- Regression and maintenance testing for maintenance releases
- Work with Vendor on Issue management, Vulnerabilities, certificate updates and Audits
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors in Information Technology or related field.
- 8+ years Computer Science, Information Technology or Equivalent Experience.
- 10+ years Computer Science, Information Technology or related experience.
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Strong experience in scripting languages such as Shell/Python/Scala/Java.
- Experience with AWS based solutions such as RDS, Lambda, Dynamodb, Snowflake or S3
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
- Experience with QRM, Pep+, FIS OPF, Fedline Advantage, Thomson Reuters OneSource is a plus
- Experience working with vendor systems is a plus
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.