Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Discover is a high-tech financial company focused on the latest technologies and platforms, supporting enterprise-wide scale with a laser focus on Security & Safety @SPEED. Discover has a fast paced, collaborative and fun environment that emphasizes industry leading technology capabilities and practices.
We are looking to expand our Digital Payments Architects group, adding a Principal Architect, who can create and foster a high standard of software engineering and product building practices. Our Digital Payments line of business is comprised of autonomous engineering teams responsible for defining, designing, developing and owning global cloud native solutions. The teams’ goal is making a reliable and secure digital payment option available throughout the world.
We are looking for individuals who will bring clarity and simplicity to complex business problems. The architect will guide and mentor a group of highly skilled engineers to create sustainable “build and operate” teams for various Digital Payments capabilities. An ideal candidate in this role, would be a technologist at the core, remaining hands-on and leading my example. Strong experience with cloud native application design patterns and implementation and the ability to validate assumptions, clarify drawbacks and nurture shared understanding are key factors to be successful in this role
- Understand business goals and translate those in appropriate solutions / design, which is secure, cost effective, reliable and evolvable in future
- Assist / counsel business on the product / business capability maturity
- Break down complex problems into simple small unit of logical work that is suitable for incremental development / deliver of value
- Ability to understands overall product offerings of Digital Payments and Enterprise Architectural Directions
- Innovates on and advocates for best engineering practices and improved processes within the team; leads by example
- Stays current with technology trends and innovation
- Mentors team members within the organization
- Takes ownership of the healthy and hygiene of the codebase
- Fosters a DevOps Culture and team ownership model (YBYO)
- Full stack application development and Infra-as-Code management using XP-TDD-BDD practices
- Verifies stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Collaborates with technology teams to select appropriate design solutions and ensures the compatibility of system components.
- Documents design specifications, installation instructions, and other system information.
- Provides advice on project costs, designs, concepts, and changes.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Application Development/Leadership, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in Application Development/Leadership, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Strong communication skills and the ability to influence technical architecture and development processes within and outside of their domain.
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team.
- Ability to work well in autonomous teams and pair programming experience.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies; TDD preferred
- Fullstack Academy, General Assembly or comparable programs may adequately supplement a non-CS bachelor’s degree
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.