Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
Discover is looking for a Senior Manager – Cloud Platforms, Product Owner to help drive the execution of our cloud platform capabilities needed to support operationally stable, world class platform to the rest of the Enterprise Applications within Discover.
As part of the Enterprise Architecture & Infrastructure Services (EAIS) organization within Discover, we are building out our capabilities around our next generation Container & Serverless management platform. OpenShift Container Platform (OCP), at its core, leverages Kubernetes for workload management and it has a suite of products around it for providing key capabilities and commodity services on the platform. If you are truly passionate about technology and enjoy driving delivery & strategy as part of a highly innovative, collaborative team that leverages cutting edge technologies in the cloud, container & serverless space, then this role is for you! You will get to work with a vast array of technologies including OpenShift/Kubernetes, Docker/CRI-O, & Knative running on public cloud providers such as AWS.
This is a highly visible leadership role, the individual will lead the execution and delivery of capabilities across the Openshift Container Platform (OCP) suite of products internally for the rest of the Enterprise Application teams, as well as ensuring the platform can support our current and future growth requirements. In this role, you will work directly with consumers of the platform to understand the current pain points, gaps and work with product architects and product owners to establish strategy, plan product roadmaps across the suite of products within the Openshift Container Platform.
A successful candidate in this role will have strong experience with product management in a highly technical environment with the ability to learn new technologies in the cloud and container space. This position also needs strong influencing skills and be a great active listener
Anchored by our Discover Values, we are focused on open collaboration, teamwork, and innovation are highly valued. We align our work through agile practices and tenets, and leverage diverse backgrounds across our team members to create the best possible products for the company.
What You’ll Do
- Develop, maintain and present the vision and roadmap for the value stream products or services.
- Create the vision based on a thorough understanding of customer needs, working with both business initiative owners and technology teams. Guide both requirements and the work through the portfolio grooming, program grooming, and prioritization meetings by taking responsibility for "content decisions" and what gets implemented.
- Make fast decisions about the initiatives, with input from VPs and initiative owners, and other key stakeholders. Ensure that product owners are synthesizing business objectives and Agile development principles to develop features for key initiatives.
- Work closely with Product architects, Engineers and other product owners in leading the execution of Discover’s Strategic Cloud Platform capabilities, processes, and priorities
- Drive the vision, roadmap, strategy and execution for all the suite of products that supports the Discover’s strategic cloud platform.
- Help to coordinate and organize multiple delivery teams driving our Cloud platform capabilities required for our enterprise growth
- Be accountable for overall operational aspects, platform stability and availability.
- Work with senior leadership & architecture on financial aspects related to cloud platform product suite’s capabilities
- Drive the execution and delivery aspects of the product suite by collaborating with the scrum master and the teams.
How You’ll Do It
- Develop and communicate the product vision and roadmap. Adjust and respond to changing market, customer and/or organizational needs, working closely with business teams and initiative owners.
- Support the whole program and teams by clarifying business needs, direction, and features.
- Help break down initiatives into prioritized features with acceptance criteria, and manage the program pipeline (backlog) of these features for every release and iteration.
- Provide issue management, risk assessments, risk mitigation, cost analysis, and minimum viable product evaluations.
- Empathy for our customer’s journey and needs
- Demonstrate success launching successful features (preferably at enterprise level).
- Understand what is possible to inform key product design decisions.
- Break features down to executable stories for team execution
- Understand and drive value of Infrastructure as Code and automation principles through the team
- Ability to lead without authority.
- Comfortable with dynamic, fast paced environment with shifting priorities and ownership.
- Create and deliver services in a continuous integration and deployment environment
- Working with dev ops or self-service engineering teams to deploy code in production
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, information technology, business, marketing, finance, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in financial services, technology, customer service, marketing, operations, project management, Scaled Agile or Agile Development project management, product owner, technology architect, software development, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in project management, Scaled Agile or Agile Development project management, product owner, technology architect, software development, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- 6+ years of experience in project management, Scaled Agile or Agile Development project management, product owner, technology architect, software development, or related field
- 3+ years’ experience as a product manager in a highly technical environment with experience establishing technical roadmaps, strategy and vision for technical products and platforms, preferably in cloud and container space.
- 3+ years’ experience with management and operational management of enterprise level services, systems or platforms
- Experience in leading delivery on broad enterprise initiatives, demonstrating knowledge of how to get things done in a large organization
- Excellent communication skills across wide range of business and technology audiences
- Ability to creatively overcome impediments and coach the team on continuous improvements.
- 1+ years of working with Kubernetes/Openshift and cloud providers like AWS, Azure, GCP or others.
- Basic understanding and experience of key technologies to be leveraged by the team including Java applications, CI/CD technologies, Ansible, terraform, Go lang
- Understanding of observability and how to achieve reliability in a service.
- Experience working with one or more tools like Sysdig, Elastic search, Filebeat, Kibana, Prometheus, Grafana, Instana, splunk, AppDynamics is a plus.
- Act as a product evangelist/champion and promote strong partnership between Application Development and Platform teams to improve the adoption of the platform within the enterprise.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.