Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance around the world.
For more information, visit www.discover.com/company At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is focused on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Under the direction of a Vice President, this role is responsible for managing all aspects of both significant and routine litigation matters including fact investigation, strategy development, discovery, motion practice, mediation, settlement negotiations, trial and appeal. The Director and Sr. Counsel-Litigation collaborates with in-house advisory attorneys, compliance professionals and business unit staff and management in the identification, mitigation, and prevention of litigation risk. The incumbent will manage outside counsel and others in the management of cases on Discover's behalf. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
- Direct and oversee the investigation of actual or threatened allegations against the company.
- Engage in all aspects of case management, including active oversight of paralegals, developing case strategy, directing and partnering with outside counsel, reviewing all pleadings, and managing matter budgets.
- Lead key processes involved in litigation supervision, including legal holds, e-discovery and document management, litigation reporting, and witness preparation
- Work closely with internal business partners across the organization to proactively address and resolve potential disputes while supporting business objectives
- Coordinate with appropriate partners on remediation and corrective action as appropriate
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and license (or ability to become licensed) to practice law in Illinois. Bar in good standing.
- At least 6 years of experience as a litigator
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization including senior management
- Experience driving, prioritizing and effectively managing cross-functional initiatives, and ability to both work independently and with large multi-stakeholder teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build and foster relationships
- Creative thinking with strong judgement, initiative and empathy
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.