Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for ensuring the robust design and operating effectiveness of the control environment over the areas of responsibility. Informs the control design best practices and associated standards and training for 1st line control owners. Performs targeted control environment reviews partnering with 1st line control owners and Business Risk Office to ensure control environment is robust and meeting established standards. Leverage learnings from control design reviews to inform improvements to standards, tools and training. Demonstrates proven abilities and success with identifying and assessing nonfinancial risks (e.g. compliance risk, operational risk) and the effectiveness and efficiency of controls, leveraging prior experience, enterprise standards, and sound industry practices (e.g. BASEL / COSO etc.)
- Leads process walk-throughs with functional business partners ensuring that flowcharts and control design meet internal and professional standards, are aligned with the control design framework and available to key stakeholders as appropriate. Execute process / control design activities (i.e. working sessions, effective challenge sessions etc.), including but not limited to:
- Identification and measurement of relevant risks
- Identification and assessment the adequacy of the controls to mitigate these risks
- Identification of gaps and recommendations on right-sized action plans
- Serve in a control design advisory roles to 1st line process owners and provide guidance on what a good control design look like and best-practices to adhere to the guidance.
- Identify opportunities for automated, preventative controls to improve overall control environment through process walk-throughs.
- Inform the roadmap for GRC/other Tools for 1st line control owners that will help drive further adherence to control design standard.
- Identify systemic improvement themes across control design reviews e.g. Training, Roles and Responsibilities, Communication, Standards that can be solved programmatically. Support drafting of a comprehensive risk & control summary to highlight conclusions
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors’ Degree in Information Technology, Business, Finance, or Engineering
- 2+ years of experience with Compliance, Internal Audit, Business, Risk Management, Financial Services, Process Improvement or related
- 6+ years of experience with Risk Management, Financial Services, Process Improvement or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 4+ years of experience with Compliance, Internal Audit, Business, Risk Management, Financial Services, Process Improvement or related
- 8+ years of experience with Risk Management, Financial Services, Process Improvement or related
- Internal Audit, Risk Management, Control Design experience
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.