At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
This role can be based out of our Riverwoods, IL or downtown Chicago, IL. office
Are you looking to be on the leading edge of technology and automation? Do you seek a highly modern DevOps team suited to take on the unique and fast paced challenges of bringing a Fortune 500 company into the public cloud? The Cloud Engineering team at Discover Financial Services may be the place you have been looking for. As a lead on the Cloud Engineering team, you will be responsible for driving the engineering strategy, evolving Discover’s AWS implementation, and maintenance of regular DevOps practices. The AWS space moves fast, and the Cloud Engineering team adapts on the fly with the help of regular Agile methodology.
The scope of this role includes building, managing, and supporting core infrastructure and security services in AWS to deliver highly available and scalable services, automating everything to minimize manual work and meet security and compliance objectives in all aspects of the secure cloud ecosystem, use native AWS infrastructure services such as IAM, Config, Lambda, EC2, Autoscaling, Cloudwatch, etc., perform basic system administration tasks, and serve on the on-call team as an escalation contact for service incidents.
Responsible for the technical design, development, monitoring and ongoing support and maintenance of a diverse set of cloud technologies. The role is a technical, hands-on opportunity with a heavy focus on automation, resilient design and deployment of cloud ready systems and services. This role collaborates with Product teams internal and external to IS to provide world class products and services in support of our application development community and our business as whole. This is a ‘DevOps’ positon, responsible for the full-stack engineering and support of products that support our hybrid cloud capabilities.
- Architect and engineer complex AWS Solutions
- Collaborate with product owners and managers to evolve AWS strategies
- Accountable for developing and implementing complex automation tasks.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers.
- Implement Configuration Management and Infrastructure as Code (e.g. Terraform, Chef, CloudFormation, Puppet, Ansible)
- Assist with estimating work efforts required for each phase of a project.
- Identify and raise technical risks.
- Maintain working knowledge of IT industry and trends.
- Integrate with the external community (eg. run meetups, speak at conferences, write blog posts/publications)
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Participate in regular Agile ceremonies.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Application or Platform Development, Consulting or related field
- 1+ years of experience in Team Lead or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field’
7+ years of software engineering experience
AWS, Azure, or Google public cloud experience in a production environment
Demonstrates growth mindset, enthusiastic about learning new technologies quickly and applying the gained knowledge to address business problems.
Bachelor’s Degree in Management Information Systems/Computer Science or related field
Comfortable working on agile-based teams comprised of team members with diverse skill-sets (e.g. Quality Assurance Engineers, User Experience Designers, Software Engineers / Architects)
Capable of collaborating with stakeholders and project leaders to understand requirements, deliverables, and set expectations on tasks that you will be responsible for.
Consistently demonstrates follow-through in honoring commitments to customers and colleagues. Accepts the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.