Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America’s cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation’s leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Attorney responsible for providing proactive, strong, timely advice in support of the Payments business teams, including (with respect to payment services regulatory matters) merchant services, including debit and credit card payment processing and acquiring; development, implementation of, and updates to, products and services, including mobile, digital, and other emerging payments; strategic alliances with FinTechs/other technology firms (e.g., Apple, Samsung, Google); and other types of strategic partnerships and key payment products and services.
Additionally, this leader will collaborate with, and provides ongoing support and assistance to, business clients, other teams in the Law Department, and functional partners (e.g., corporate finance, corporate communications, etc.).
- Exercise prudent discretion and decision-making skills by advising business clients on strategic and complex issues and requirements applicable to assigned role (e.g., Legal Counsel, Risk, Government Relations, Exam Management), such as on new initiatives, business process reviews, compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures, contract review and analysis, training, corrective actions, risk and issues raised in governance committees.
- Manages and develops teams, as assigned and required by role at management’s discretion, to achieve Law’s Mission and Discover’s business objectives.
- Identifies, assesses, communicates, and provides oversight and strategic guidance on new or proposed legal and regulatory requirements, emerging legal and regulatory risks and trends. Exercises prudent discretion and decision-making to represent and/or advocate on the company’s behalf before regulatory or judicial bodies, as necessary, or in dealings with counter-parties on matters such as litigation, commercial transactions, regulatory examinations and supervisory matters, comment letters and position papers on proposed regulations, and legislation that may impact the company.
- Manages resources, as assigned, including overhead, outside counsel and other budgets to achieve Law’s financial goals.
- J.D. in Law
- 6+ years of experience in related field
- Active law license in good standing
- Strong oral and written analytic and communication skills