At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for formulating system scopes and objectives relative to the business plans and industry requirements. Provides technical guidance concerning the business implications of the application of systems. Provides technical consulting on complex projects. Analyzes business and user needs, documents requirements and translation them into system requirement specifications. Develops project plans, creates test cases, executes and supports tests, creates implementation plans, assigns and reviews work of the team, and coordinates the installation of solutions. Advises and coaches team members.
- Analyze data across multiple platforms to provide insights and recommendations to support enterprise data assets principles.
- Gathers data application requirements from Data Scientists / Business Users and other operational teams to ensure that the business needs will be met.
- Designs transformation logic in source to targets to be implemented by partner Data Engineers.
- Partners with the Business Users and Data Engineers throughout the development and testing processes by ensuring that the team understands the parameters and needs of the project.
- Understand at a fundamental level our data ingestion and processing frameworks.
- Enhances, optimizes, and automates existing processes through analysis and provides functional specifications.
- Translates new business requirements into functional specifications and provides them to technology teams.
- Implements quality control procedures and validates production data. Provides technical consulting on data systems. Identifies and analyzes production data issues and proposes solutions.
- Analyses and designs business systems including: diagnosing business needs and related requirement specifications, system development planning, creation and implementation of a test plans, and on-going project oversight. Compares implemented solutions against original specifications and makes necessary adjustments.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Business, Information Technology or related field
- 2+ years of experience as Business Analyst, Project Management, Scrum master or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience as Business Analyst, Project Management, Scrum master or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Master’s Degree in Project Management, Business, Information Technology or related field
- Experience with Project Management, Scrum Master
- Experience with variety of databases e.g. Teradata, Oracle, Snowflake
- Experience with data warehouses, marts, business intelligence reports and operational systems
- 2+ years ad hoc SQL experience researching data
- Strong communication skills – ability to talk effectively to business users, data scientists and engineers
- Candidate to have critical & analytical thinking mindset, along with certain level of understanding or experience working in a DW environment as a Business Analyst.
- Candidate should be proficient in writing SQL queries to analyze data, profile data sets and able to logically connect data attributes and data assets across the Enterprise.
- Candidates should possess an eye for detail, catch ambiguities in data, and work with the Data Architects to understand Functional requirements, and translate & document the details, pass them to the Data Engineers and work with them hand in hand throughout the data development life cycle.
- Bonus, if the candidates are experienced with Customer, Marketing and Financial domains or have worked on Conceptual & Logical data modeling within these domains
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.