At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Join our team as a Senior Manager, Software Engineering, helping to lead the build of our next generation PULSE Network capabilities and help Discover not just achieve our vision, but who are keen to learn new technologies, grow their skills and, most importantly, drive the evolution of our software engineering practices.
We’re looking for passionate, collaborative individuals that can help shape the evolution our payment networks and position Discover Financial Services as the leading direct bank and payments partner who is responsible for the system and application ownership, development delivery, testing, support for value streams and manages a team, including hiring, directing, mentoring, and assigning work.
The PULSE Software Engineering Manager is primarily responsible for managing resources, testing and processes to deliver high quality systems and applications, services and data in support of the company’s objectives. As a key member of the Payment Network leadership team the individual will be expected to collaborate with key business and technology partners in helping to define the strategy of PULSE.
We embrace change and evolution, both in our staff and systems.
- Coaches and mentors team members. Supports individuals to achieve their individual development goals. Utilizes Agile and Lean practices to identify and solve systemic issues.
- Consults with management in the analysis of short- and long-range business requirements and recommends innovations.
- Utilizes tools to support data-driven decision making. Identifies and removes blockers to enable the team to meet business goals.
- Manages software and system ownership and development from initial concept through continuous improvement.
- Provide specialized expertise and applied knowledge on all technical aspects of architecture and development strategy.
- Partner with the business and technology teams to plan and execute projects, ensuring that your team has appropriate goals, design and technical specifications, direction and resources to deliver high quality products and services.
- Supervise all aspects of FIS software development and HPE NonStop servers.
- Oversee delivery of software through continuously deployed solutions via a SAFe/Scrum Agile process.
- Be a strong people manager, establishing goals for the team, evaluating performance, ensuring focus and motivation and providing coaching and guidance for team members.
- Be reliable, self-motivated and willing to accept responsibility and accountability.
- Be flexible and adaptable to change
- Drive a culture of quality, innovation and best practice within your teams
- Coach and develop our future talent
- Conceptualize and communicate strategic approaches
- Promote a risk aware culture within the team to ensure efficient and effective risk compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes that support the DFS approach to audit and compliance.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 8+ years of experience in Application Development
- 2+ years of experience in supervising
If we had our say, we’d also look for
- Proven track record of delivering quality in an Agile environment
- Proven track record of turning concepts and ideas into tangible solutions
- Servant leadership style backed up with strong emotional intelligence
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to articulate vision and inspire teams
- Self-motivated, Commercial understanding of the Payments domain
- Strong knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in software engineering
- Experience in supporting software solutions in a production environment
- Proven commercial experience engaging third party vendors
- Proven experience in coaching teams
- Experience with FIS Connex software
- Experience with HPE NonStop servers
- Experience in creating best in class testing infrastructure
- Commercial experience developing in a Scaled Agile environment
- Credible understanding of the technology stack
- Passion for learning
- Strong collaborator #LI- BG1
This position will require the candidate to perform a wide variety of tasks. A wide degree of creativity is expected as well as a strategic outlook with regard to technology.